Scientist (Biology), UK – 4 posts available
**THIS POSITION IS NOW CLOSED**
Retrogenix is a thriving, dynamic and rapidly expanding UK-based biotechnology company. Our unique cell microarray technology advances medical research and speeds up drug development for our clients by identifying the receptors and drug targets for antibodies, proteins, small molecules, viruses and other ligands. As a result, we discover high quality, exploitable drug targets and mechanisms of action as well as screening for potential off-targets to inform lead selection and assist with safety assessment. Our clients include fourteen of the world’s top fifteen drug developers as well as emerging biotechs and leading academic groups.
Retrogenix has received two Queen’s Awards for Enterprise – the UK’s most prestigious acknowledgement of business performance – in recognition both of its innovative platform as well as its outstanding success in international trade. The technology has been presented at international scientific conferences and our results published in Nature and other high-impact scientific journals.
Due to rapidly increasing numbers of projects and collaborations, we now have exciting opportunities for several talented and organized biologists to join our growing team. The successful candidates will work alongside senior scientists carrying out molecular biology and cell culture tasks. These are temporary 6 month positions in the first instance, which will be reviewed after that period.
Main responsibilities and duties:
- After extensive training, the successful candidate will use the Retrogenix cell microarray technology to screen samples
- Use molecular biology techniques, including DNA mini-preps, DNA gels and DNA sub-cloning
- Use general cell culture techniques
- May be required to take on small development projects within the cell culture or molecular biology team, as required and as appropriate
- Make lab buffers
- Maintain clear, up-to-date records/lab books
- Maintain record keeping systems
- Help to ensure smooth, seamless running of the laboratory
- Adhere to Retrogenix’s health and safety procedures, and implement new procedures/assessments (e.g. COSHH), where required
Key requirements for the role:
- Operate to the highest level of quality, while maintaining good output
- Work effectively within a small team, working closely day-to-day with, and taking on duties assigned by, the senior scientist
- Maintain open and effective communication with other team members
- Be flexible and adaptable according to changing delivery needs. Respond to project deadlines
- Manage time effectively in order to undertake multiple tasks simultaneously and meet project deadlines
- Maintain utmost confidentiality regarding Retrogenix know-how, client contracts and data
- Work methodically and in a clean, tidy and highly organized manner
- We are looking for someone who is conscientious, enthusiastic and takes pride in their work.
Essential experience, knowledge and track record:
- HNC / Degree level or equivalent in bioscience-related subject
- And / or, minimum of 2 years of laboratory experience in the pharmaceutical, drug discovery or biotech industry. The laboratory experience should be in the areas of molecular and/or cell biology
- Track record of achieving or over-achieving performance targets
Package, working hours and location
A competitive compensation package will be offered, and will reflect track-record and experience. Full or part-time working hours will be considered. This position will be based at Retrogenix’s new laboratory facilities in the heart of the Peak District, UK.
This is a temporary 6 month position in the first instance, which will be reviewed after that period. Three positions are available from September 2018 and/or when the right candidates are identified and available.
Please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Please direct any questions regarding the position to the same address. Closing date for applications: Now closed